Victims injured due to the negligence of others face many challenges. There is the life-changing experience of suffering a severe injury, the loss of income due to time away from work during recovery, and related expenses not covered by insurance. The injured and their families will often wish to focus on the recovery process, but there are still issues that need to be addressed. It is best to lay proper groundwork in case victims want to pursue legal action with the help of an experienced personal injury attorney.
Simple mistakes to avoid
The circumstances of each injury vary, but these are relatively easy tips that many find useful:
- Notify employers and police: Official documentation is important so officially notify the employer or the police to start the process.
- Seek medical treatment: It is best to seek treatment for injuries because it begins a proper recovery process and also documents the extent of the injuries.
- Collect information: If the victim is severely injured, friends or family should gather contact information and document important details with the help of a smartphone camera. This applies to any situation, even if it happens at work.
- Do not give an official statement: The chaotic moments after a crash or severe injury can lead to unclear thinking, so resist the pressure of employers or others to sign anything or make an official statement.
- Follow doctors orders: Some victims do not want to continue treatment or therapy because it is painful or inconvenient, but insurance companies and others will be quick to use this against the victims.
- Do not settle too soon: Recovery is always more expensive than people think, so it is best to avoid resolving the matter “to be done with it,” particularly if the attorney advises litigation or further negotiation.
- Be proactive: The statutes of limitations vary, but it is best to begin the process as early as possible before memories fade and witnesses become unavailable.
- Keep accurate records: Save all paperwork, detail important information, and catalog in a way that makes it useful.
Attorneys can be a tremendous help
Victims and their families should consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer in the aftermath of the incident to weigh the possibility of legal action and potential outcomes. They also can provide valuable insight about handling paperwork, interactions with insurance companies and can recommend doctors to ensure the best possible care. Consultations are free, and they do not charge fees until they win your case.